The annual FIAB bike ride “Bicistaffetta” marks the launch of the Signing of EuroVelo Cycle Route 5.
Between the 9th and 13th of September, a bike ride will celebrate the Signing of EuroVelo 5 along a very attractive stretch of the recently revised Via Romea – Francigena.
Registration open for both national and international participants. (Only Italian version available).
It is a very picturesque route starting from the Samnite town of Benevento. The ride will be along the course of the ancient Via Latina and the Volturno river, the most important river in South Italy. We will arrive at Venafro, that witnessed some of the cruellest events of World War II (70th anniversary this year) a bloodshed ended with the destruction of Cassino and its famous Abbey. Then we will ride through the heart of the Apennines along one of its most beautiful landscape, Val Comino and its ancient places of spirituality, as Casamari Abbey. The Prenestina scenic cycle route will lead us to Rome, but we will enjoy a relaxing bath in the famous thermal waters of Fiuggi.
The prologue in Naples will enable us to get to know the urban cycle section of EuroVelo 3 (Ciclovia del Sole) and we’ll attend the presentation of the state of the art of the Florence – Rome – Naples cycle route.
Bicistafetta 2014 plays a key role in the global National Cycle Network project Bicitalia; four big cities and many smaller ones are called to unite their efforts to develop a sustainable cycle-tourism project. It involves local institutions and Albergabici facilities as main players. Cooperation between local institutions and local services will be strengthened by the territorial partition of the National Cycle Network and it will promote the use of cycle routes globally.
The new website Bicitalia.org provides a better and faster way to know and to interact with the future National Cycle Network, fully available soon.
September, Thursday 9th, 2014
prologue in Naples:
- accommodation in a hostel from 2.00 pm
- 5.00 pm ride along the urban cycle path e and Bicitalia project presentation at Villa Comunale
- 8.00 pm pizza on the sea front
- 9.30 pm cycling across Naples by night
Bus transfer from Naples. Benevento – Faicchio by bike, 40 km:
- 8:00 am breakfast, bike loading and bus transfer to Benevento
- 11:00 am city tour and meeting with public administrators
- 12.30 am lunch along the so called “paesaggi sanniti” (Samnites’ landscapes) cycle path
- 5.00 pm arrival at Faicchio, hotel accommodation and supper
- 7.00 pm Bicitalia nel Sud (Bicitalia in the South) evening at the medieval castle
Telese terme – Alife – Cassino, 85 km:
- 9:00 am greetings by local authorities; destination Alife
- 10.00 am biking along the Volturno’s Cycle path
- 12.00 am lunch break in Venafro and meeting with local authorities
- 3.30 pm San Pietro Infine Park of Historical Memory
- 6.00 pm arrival at Cassino, hotel accommodation and supper
- evening meeting with local authorities and tour of Historiale Museum
Cassino – Casamari – Fiuggi, 80 km:
- 9:00 am destination: Val Comino
- 12:00 am lunch in Isola del Liri city and tour of Casamari Abbey
- 2.30 pm further ride to Alatri and Canterno Lake
- arrival at Fiuggi, hotel accommodation and supper
- evening presentation of Bicitalia project with local authorities
Fiuggi – Ciclabile di Paliano – Roma, 75 km:
- 9:00 am cycling following Fiuggi – Paliano cycle path
- lunch in Palestrina
- arrival at Rome in the afternoon and Bicistaffetta closing ceremony
- hotel accommodation and supper
Available on http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=voohslorjlhqiutk
Press Releases Collection
- FIAB Onlus (2/7/2014)
- Eco dalle Città (7/7/2014)
- ECF (18/7/2014)
- FIAB Bergamo A.ri.bi (20/7/2014)
- Wiener Zeitung
- Rivista BC di Bepo Merlin (27/7/2014)
- Informatore Sannita (31/7/2014)
- Cycling (31/7/2014)
- IM-Impresa Mia (31/7/2014)
- NapoliToday (31/7/2014)
- Today (1/8/2014)
- Il Sannita (1/8/2014)
- Alternativa Sostenibile (1/8/2014)
- GreenCity (1/8/2014)
- FIAB Bari RuotaLibera